The Reichstag is the seat of the German parliament, located right next to the Brandenburg gate. The building was completed in 1894, built with French wartime reparation money. The inscription on it, “Dem Deutschen Volke” (To the German people), was cast out of bronze taken from French cannons. After East and West Berlin were reunited, the parliament moved from Bonn, the former capital of West Germany, to the Reichstag. Renovations were completed in 1999, which included the addition of a major glass dome on the roof. There was a lot of controversy with the decision to add this, much like the addition of the glass pyramids at the Louvre, but it has now become one of the most recognizable landmarks in the city.