In this article we will tell you how better to setup Chromecast on Kodi. If you want to use your big living room TV to watch Kodi instead of your small mobile phone or laptop computer screen and enjoy together with your family on big screen. If you recently have received Google’s latest media streaming appliance, you can do that. So, if you want to consider more information how to setup Kodi on Chromecast just read our tutorial below.
Disclaimer: This tutorial was created for help our readers to receive access content who already has bought the rights to access, but with some reason they couldn’t get access either temporarily, or permanently. aileyiz.biz does not support software piracy, and bears no responsibility for what you decide to do with the contents of this article. Furthermore, please note that aileyiz.biz in no way hosts, develops, or produces any of the software mentioned within this article. For more information, please see our full disclaimer here.
- 1 Before we Proceed
- 2 What is Chromecast?
- 3 What does it do? How does it work?
- 4 Should I get Chromecast or Chromecast Ultra?
- 5 Before you begin…
- 6 Can I connect to Chromecast from within Kodi?
- 7 Smartphone or PC/Mac?
- 8 Android or iPhone?
- 9 How to stream Kodi to your TV via your Android smartphone
- 9.1 Method #1: The “battery saver” method
- 9.2 Method #2: The “screen mirror” method
- 10 How to stream Kodi to your TV via your Mac or PC
- 11 Which casting method works the best?
BEFORE WE PROCEED
All our readers we highly recommend to use a VPN simultaneously with using Kodi. Kodi users have been known to receive copyright infringement notices for streaming movies, sports, and TV shows through various App. If you would like to keep your streaming habits private, our recommendation is – a complete privacy solution for Kodi users. It’s also worth noting that purchasing a 12 month subscription will give you two months free.
WHAT IS CHROMECAST?
WHAT DOES IT DO? HOW DOES IT WORK?
Chromecast grabs the video that’s playing on your iPhone, iPad, Android, Mac, Windowsor Chromebook and beams it directly into your TV wirelessly via WiFi.
3 REASONS TO USE CHROMECAST WITH KODI
- Turns your computer or smartphone into a Kodi box
- Improves your Kodi experience
- Saves money
Right now we are considering 3 reasons why to use Chromecast with Kodi to use Chromecast with Kodi. It can give you to take full advantage of all your media hardware. With Chromecast, all your media players can “talk” to each other and exchange video stream information.
One of the main reason it is cheap price and also very easy using Chromecast on streaming appliances. If all you want to do is connect your computer or smartphone to your TV, Chromecast is the best option out there. Its competitors Roku and Apple TV have more features, but the extra cost isn’t worth it if all you want to do is watch Kodi on your TV.
SHOULD I GET CHROMECAST OR CHROMECAST ULTRA?
The difference between Chromecast and Chromecast Ultra boils down to price and video resolution.
Chromecast vs Chromecast Ultra
- A basic Chromecast casts 1080p HD streams
- A Chromecast Ultra can handle 4k HDR enhanced movies and shows
- Chromecast basic costs around $30
- Chromecast Ultra costs about twice as much
So, if you have in your home a TV that can handle ultra high res 4K streams and HDR enhanced color, then you can pay a little bit more rof getting Chromecast Ultra. But if you have an older TV that maxes out at 1080p, there’s no reason to get the premium version of Chromecast.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN…
First of all like you begin to use Chromecast to broadcast Kodi streams, you should know that you need all of the following hardware:
- A Chromecast dongle. The Chromecast dongle is the Chromecast hardware itself. Because Google’s popular puck-shaped streamer gadget can connect to a WiFi network, it falls into the “USB dongle” gadget category. USB dongles are basically USB sticks with advanced features.
- An HDMI compatible HDTV. If your TV lacks an HDMI port, you won’t be able to plug in your Chromecast. So, be sure to verify that your TV is HDMI compatible before you purchase.
- A stable WiFi connection. If you have a slow internet connection, don’t worry, Chromecast will still work, but the video will be choppy and hard to watch. Google says that Chromecast works best on WiFi networks that are 25 mbps or faster.
- A computer and/or smartphone. You need some kind of smartphone to run the Chromecast software. As we said before, Chromecast is compatible with iPhone, iPad, Android, Mac, Windows and Chromebook.
- An USB cable or a wall adapter. Chromecast comes with a USB adapter, but you can use any standard USB cord with the appliance. Alternatively, you can also use the wall charger that comes with the Chromecast for power.
CAN I CONNECT TO CHROMECAST FROM WITHIN KODI?
No. At the moment, Kodi doesn’t have local support for Chromecast. But that doesn’t mean that Chromecast and Kodi are incompatible. It just means that if you want to use Kodi with Chromecast, you can’t do so from within the Kodi program itself.
All of the following apps do feature native support for Chromecast:
- BBC iPlayer
- CBS Sports
- Comedy Central
- Daily Motion
- FOX NOW
- HBO Go
- Hulu Plus
- NPR One
- Popcorn Time
- Sling TV
SMARTPHONE OR PC/MAC?
If you recently have purchased a new smartphone in shop or online, then you don’t have the problems with broadcasting Kodi streams to your HDTV via Chromecast. But if you have an older smartphone that struggles to run modern apps, you may be better off using your laptop or desktop computer to broadcast Kodi.
ANDROID OR IPHONE?
It is really possible to install Kodi on iPhone appliances. But because Apple has refused to host the Kodi app in its Mac store, you have to either sideload Kodi or jailbreak your phone and load Kodi via Cydia to get it to work.
If you took decision and really ready to work for getting Kodi on your iPhone, then first of all you need to be able to get Chromecast to work by adapting one of the workarounds listed below. However, if you have an Android phone, a laptop or a desktop you’ll have a much easier time broadcasting your Kodi streams to your television via Chromecast.
HOW TO STREAM KODI TO YOUR TV VIA YOUR ANDROID SMARTPHONE
Right now we are talking about 2 methods to beam your Kodi stream to your television screen. But you need to have a smartphone. The first way is complicated, but it’s much easier on your battery compared to the second method. The second way is a lot simpler, but it requires you to broadcast your entire screen.
METHOD #1: THE “BATTERY SAVER” METHOD
- Good: This method consumes much less system resources compared to method #2
- Bad: It’s also a little bit more complicated and somewhat difficult to configure
We suppose The most main method is number one is the best way to stream Kodi’s content to Chromecast. Setup is a little bit tricky. But if you follow the steps below, you’ll be able to play Kodi streams on your Chromecast even when your phone is in “locked” mode– and you’ll also be able to multitask and use other apps on your phone without having to pause your movie.
And one yet advantage of this way that you can save battery power like results in smoother streams. If your phone tends to get bogged down when you’re watching videos or browsing the web, you’ll probably run into glitches and long buffer times if you opt to use method #2.
- INSTALL THESE 3 APPS ON YOUR SMARTPHONE
- Kodi. Apple is currently refusing to host Kodi in its iOS App Store, so it’s difficult to install Kodi on an iPhone. However, Android smartphone owners can easily download the Kodi Android app via Google Play.
- LocalCast. You can use pretty much any caster app you want to use, but we recommend LocalCast. LocalCast consumes less system resources compared to other smartphone casting apps.
- ES File Explorer. Any file manager that gives you to add and remove hidden files will suffice, but we recommend ES File Explorer because it’s free and super easy to use.
- DOWNLOAD THE PLAYERFACTORYCORE .XML FILE TO YOUR ANDROID
You can download also the PlayerFactoryCore its realy good file Kodi that can help you to connect to external video players. You can either download PlayerFactoryCore here or from the official Kodi Wiki.
- COPY THE .XML FILE TO KODI’S “USERDATA” FOLDER
- Open up ES File Explorer.
- Click the 3 vertical lines in the top left corner of the screen, then choose settings.
- Under display settings, choose show hidden files.
- Go to the downloads folder and copy the file you downloaded in step 2– PlayerFactoryCore.xml.
- Using ES File Explorer, navigate to android → data → org.xbmc.kodi → files → .kodi → userdata
- Click paste
- OPEN KODI AND PLAY A VIDEO
As only you have passed the file, then you need to discover the Kodi app and play any video. LocalCast should automatically pop up.
Note: After that like you installed a casting app, Android will ask you to select which one you want to use here. If this happens, select Local Cast from the menu and proceed to step 5.
- SELECT YOUR TV IN LOCALCAST
After that like you you have receive Chromecast open, just choose your HDTV from the list of accessible appliances and press play to cast your Kodi to your HDTV.
- MINIMIZE THE CHROMECAST APP AND ENJOY YOUR MOVIE
For the help same configuration your film will be continuing to play all the way to the end– even if your phone blocks itself. If you want to flip to a different stream or turn the volume up or down, just unlock your phone and make your adjustments.
METHOD #2: THE “SCREEN MIRROR” METHOD
- Good: This way is very quick and also easy
- Bad: Screen mirror mode will quickly deplete your Android’s battery
The easiest way to stream Kodi to Chromecast involves using Google Cast’s “screen mirror” mode to cast your entire screen. Here’s how to do it:
- INSTALL KODI AND GOOGLE CAST
Both Kodi and Google Cast are accessible via Google Play.
- OPEN UP GOOGLE CAST AND SELECT “CAST SCREEN/AUDIO”
- Poke the three horizontal lines in the top left corner of the screen.
- Choose cast screen/audio
- Click OK to acknowledge the “Screen casting is not optimized for this appliance; your experience may vary” warning message.
- SELECT YOUR TV
You need a little bit wait for Chromecast, next you should to detect your HDTV, then choose it. Chromecast will automatically adjust your HDTV display so that it accommodates your smartphone screen.
- OPEN UP KODI AND PLAY A VIDEO
At this moment, Kodi will start to play your video on both your Android device and on your HDTV.
Attention: If your phone was blocked itself or if you get a phone call, then your film will stop playing. So for best results, turn off your phone’s security and switch to airplane mode if you decide to cast Kodi using this way.
HOW TO STREAM KODI TO YOUR TV VIA YOUR MACOR PC
Suppose you have come across with very good video performance, when you cast Kodi for the help your smartphone, maybe you want to try also using your PC or Mac instead. All you software you need to get this way to work is:
- Google Chrome
- The Google Cast Chrome extension
- SETUP YOUR SOFTWARE
- Install Kodi. If you don’t already have Kodi, go through the standard Kodi installation process.
- Install Google Chrome. Google’s flagship browser has native support for Chromecast, so download and install Chrome if you don’t already have it.
- Install the Google Cast Chrome extension. Just open up Chrome and then hop over to the Google webstore to get the Chromecast extension. Google Cast allows you the ability to cast your computer screen to your HDTV.
Suppose you use Windows, and you want to install a several additional files to receive the Cast Chrome extension working on Windows. Fortunately, Google has a Chromecast Windows installer that has all the files you need to get started.
- OPEN THE GOOGLE CAST EXTENSION
- After you’ve installed the Google Cast extension, click the button on the top right side of your screen that reads cast this tab to…
- Then, choose cast screen/window (experimental)
- CHOOSE TO CAST YOUR ENTIRE SCREEN
The Chrome Cast extension will prompt you to select what you want to cast. Choose entire screen.
- PLAY A VIDEO ON KODI AND ENJOY YOUR MOVIE
With screen sharing on, your HDTV will mirror whatever is on your computer screen. Just pull up Kodi and play a video to watch it on your TV screen.
Note: If you want to get the best results with this way, just you need to disable your computer’s screensaver. If your screensaver switches on, it’ll interrupt your film. If you run into performance problems try closing out all your programs except Kodi to save memory.
WHICH CASTING METHOD WORKS THE BEST?
First of all we would like to recommend you, that you use your Android to cast Kodi to your HDTV.
If you want to save your battery in your Android smartphone, you just need to use casting strategy that was described above, and don’t forget about this 3 ways.. It’s also the only Kodi casting workaround that allows you to multitask on your device as you watch a movie or TV show on Kodi.
The second best method to cast Kodi is the PC/Mac screen sharing way. It won’t work so well if your computer is slow. But if your desktop or laptop computer is fast enough to support intensive CPU usage, performance won’t be a problem.